Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Financial Education

Expanding our financial education is a life long journey. As technology, politics and economics change so does the financial world. I have read dozens of books spanning different decades in history. Most of which are about a successful investor and what he or she did to make it. Each situation was different. However one thing was always the same. The individuals involved were financially educated. I'm not saying that getting a degree in economics or finance is what makes a up a successful investor (although it would help). But I strongly believe that the only way we can be successful over extended periods of time is to continue to learn. There are hundreds of avenues we can learn from, and I want to list a few of my favorites.

Blogs: I love blogs because they are so personal. Each blog is managed by a person who loves the subject they are writing about. Many professional blogger's spend their entire day researching and practicing the techniques they blog about. I find their information refreshing and extremely useful. I especially enjoy blogs because everything is happening in real time. The information they are writing about is happening right then. Books can take years to publish, Magazines weeks or months. (I do love both of those resources as well)
Here are a few of my favorites.

www.thesimpledollar.com
www.myopenwallet.net
http://earlyretirementextreme.com/
http://www.bargaineering.com

Books: Books are a timeless resource, even in the financial world where some of the tactics and actionable items suggested can be out of date, the principles are often timeless. I love books because good ones can be read again and again as principles are studied and then applied. I especially like books because they tell the authors personal story. You get to walk with them through their personal failures and triumphs. A few of my personal favorites are.
















Your Money Or Your Life: by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin















A Million Bucks By 30:   by Alan Corey















Rich Dad Poor Dad: by Robert T. Kiyosaki

Podcasts: I love podcasts because I can listen as I drive to work. I can also listen to them as I work around the house. Podcasts are fun because like blogs they are very personal and based in close to real time. I also like podcasts for the change of pace they give compared to readying about the information. Here are a few of my favorites.

The Dave Ramsey Show.
The Money Girl.

What are  you doing to increase your financial intelligence? I want to hear what you are doing and where you are getting your information from?

No comments:

Post a Comment